SCREEN-L Archives

August 2009, Week 4

From:
Max Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Aug 2009 22:41:41 -0400
Greetings, and apologies for the cross-post. I am seeking two
participants to join Mari Castaneda (UMass), Mitchell Szczepanczyk
(Chicago Media Action), and myself for an upcoming theme-week for In
Media Res dedicated to the recent digital TV conversion. The theme-
week is scheduled for October 5 - 9, 2009.

The idea behind the theme week is to generate a networked conversation
between curators. All the posts thematically overlap and the curators
each agree to comment on one another's work. If you have not had the
opportunity to check out IMR, please do so at http://mediacommons.futureofthebook.org/imr/
  . More information is also available below.

If you are interested in participating, please contact me directly,
describing the video you'd like to curate. Make sure to include a link!

Best,

Max Dawson
Assistant Professor, Department of Radio, Television & Film
Northwestern University
Annie May Swift Hall
1920 Campus Drive
Evanston, IL 60208
http://bgock.com/maxdawson

---
ABOUT IN MEDIA RES
In Media Res is dedicated to experimenting with collaborative, multi-
modal forms of online scholarship.

Each day, a different scholar will curate a 30-second to 3-minute
video clip/visual image slideshow accompanied by a 300-350-word
impressionistic response.

IMR posts are multi-modal (combining written text with visual and/or
moving images).

Generally, contributors to the site (whom we call "curators") select
an existing short video clip (30 seconds-3 minutes in length) OR
assemble a short slideshow of visual images (5-7 images) AND compose a
short, scholarly comment (300-350 words) that combined, express
something about their research interests. The clip/slideshow and
comment combination are intended to both introduce the curator's work
to the larger community of scholars (as well as non-academics who
frequent the site) and, hopefully, encourage feedback/discussion from
that community.

Theme weeks follow a similar process, except that all the
contributions for that week are on a related topic. Five scholars
whose research interests broadly intersect around that theme are
invited to each contribute a single post. We also ask that
contributors comment on one another's posts in order to generate
discussion on the site.

We use the title "curator" because, like a curator in a museum, you
are repurposing a media object that already exists and providing
context through your commentary, which frames the object in a
particular way.
The uploading process has been streamlined so that even the most
technologically-phobic scholar can participate.

MediaCommons is a strong advocate for the right of media scholars to
quote from the materials they analyze, as protected by the principle
of “fair use.”

http://www.ScreenSite.org