SCREEN-L Archives

March 2009, Week 1

From:
Amy Holberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Mar 2009 09:03:25 +0900
Hi Danielle,

Check out this article from the Stanford Law Center:
http://cyberlaw.stanford.edu/node/5014 . It spells out very clearly the
exemption for film and media studies professors for classroom use. It also
points out the potential grey areas. A search of the US Copyright Office's
website shows that one of the proposed changes is to extend this protection
to professors in any subject, which is the most problematic of the grey
areas pointed out in the article. One thing I realized reading it this time
is that the clips have to come from materials owned by the library or
department (not Netflix or video store rentals).

The reg (and a long explanation of the exemptions) can be found here:
http://www.copyright.gov/fedreg/2006/71fr68472.pdf

Hope this helps,
Amy Holberg
University of Maryland, University College
Pyongtaek, Korea

PS -- A program called "DVD Shrink" (free online) can be used to arrange the
clips, then you need a burning program like DVD Decrypter or Nero (also
online downloads) to burn the DVDs. Your IT department probably has better
software that will result in more user-friendly compilations, though, if you
can get them to read the regulation and make your DVDs for you.