SCREEN-L Archives

March 2009, Week 1

From:
Jonathan Cullum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Mar 2009 08:06:15 -0600
These come to mind...

-THE FLY, David Cronenberg. You'll find popular press reviews
examining the film as an allegory about the AIDS epidemic.

-MULHOLLAND DRIVE, David Lynch. Interesting film techniques, yes.
Meaning beyond the surface, maybe.

-INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS and a lot of other 1950s sci-fi, as an
allegory for McCarthyism, tension over real or suspected Communism,
etc.

-NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, George A. Romero. Civil Rights, Vietnam

-LOLITA, Adrian Lyne. Note the devilish editing of Frank Langella's
scenes as Quilty.

Jonathan Cullum, M.A.

>>> Michelle Langford <[log in to unmask]> 3/3/2009 6:24 PM >>>
I'd also like to include a couple of Hollywood films which have been
read
allegorically. In particular ones which are not necessarily
allegorical
simply on a narrative level, but use interesting film techniques to
alert
the viewer to meaning beyond the surface.

Oh, and please don't mention Star Wars!!!!

All suggestions welcome.
PS. I have a Benjamin/Deleuzian take on allegory.

Warm regards,
Michelle Langford

Dr Michelle Langford
Lecturer
School of English, Media and Performing Arts
The University of New South Wales
Sydney 2052 Australia
Room: Webster 311O
Phone: + 61 2 9385 4489