SCREEN-L Archives

March 2009, Week 1

From:
michael goddard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Mar 2009 04:18:45 +1300
Hi Michelle,

Eastern European cinema is full of different types of allegorical filmmaking as you suggest. Some possibilities.

Poland:

A good deal of Andrzej Wajda, especially Ashes and Diamonds, Kanal, Man of Marble, (all easily available)

Wojciech Has's Saragossa Mauscript and Hour Glass Sanatorium, just released on DVD also use Allegory in a more surreal even Ruizian way

Skolimowski's new wave films esp, Barrier and Hands-Up

Zulawski, Third Part of the Night (available on second run), The Devil

Juliusz Machulski, especially Seksmisja (that you might find at least on US format DVD)

Koterski, We are all christs (although this might more be a case of symbolism than allegory I would argue that is uses conventional symbols in an allegorical way)

Marek Piwowski, Rejs

Hungary: Most classic Jancso films eg The Round Up and after, Bela Tarr

Szabo, Mephisto etc.

Probably a lot of Czech New wave films would fit as well but I will leave it to someone with more expertise than me to itemise them!

(ex) Yugolsalvia: Dusan Makavejev, esp WR, Sweet Movie

and that is only scratching the surface! Of the above I would especially recommend Has's Sanatorium under the Hour-Glass (adaptation of Burno Schulz stories)

Michael

> Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 11:24:36 +1100
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: [SCREEN-L] Allegorical films
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> Dear List members,
>
> I am putting together a course that will focus on the styles and aesthetics
> of allegorical cinema. I already have a good list of films, but was
> wondering if list members would have any suggestions. I have lots of films
> from Spain, Iran, Germany, one from Tunisia and of course Raul Ruiz and Atom
> Egoyan and am pretty familiar with the allegorical aspects of Brazilian
> Cinema Novo (disucssed in Ismail Xavier's book). I have less knowledge of
> other Latin American cinema though.
>
> I'm also quite unfamiliar with films from Eastern Europe, except Kusturica.
> Info on availability on DVD with English subtitles would also be helpful.
>
> I'd also like to include a couple of Hollywood films which have been read
> allegorically. In particular ones which are not necessarily allegorical
> simply on a narrative level, but use interesting film techniques to alert
> the viewer to meaning beyond the surface.
>
> Oh, and please don't mention Star Wars!!!!
>
> All suggestions welcome.
> PS. I have a Benjamin/Deleuzian take on allegory.
>
> Warm regards,
> Michelle Langford
>

> Dr Michelle Langford
> Lecturer
> School of English, Media and Performing Arts
> The University of New South Wales
> Sydney 2052 Australia
> Room: Webster 311O
> Phone: + 61 2 9385 4489
> Fax: + 61 2 9385 6812
>
> Allegorical Images
> http://www.intellectbooks.co.uk/ppbooks.php?isbn=9781841501383
>
> ----
> For past messages, visit the Screen-L Archives:
> http://bama.ua.edu/archives/screen-l.html

Find a way to cure that travel bug with MSN NZ Travel
http://travel.msn.co.nz/