SCREEN-L Archives

March 2009, Week 1

From:
Jason Mittell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Mar 2009 07:29:56 -0500
Danielle,

You should point your IT folks to these sites:
*http://tinyurl.com/scmsteach *- a link to the SCMS Statement of Best
Practices on Teaching and Fair Use
http://www.asc.upenn.edu/DMCA/ - an outline of the exemption for film &
media faculty from the DMCA

What these will outline is that making clips as you describe from a
non-encrypted source is fair use, and they should help you do that if such
class tech support is part of their jobs. Making clips from an encrypted
source (most DVDs) is still fair use, but the DMCA forbids overriding
encryption - except for film & media faculty using it for teaching
compilations. So technically, you'll need to do that yourself.

As for tools, my favorite is HandBrake: http://handbrake.fr/

Good luck,
-Jason

---
Jason Mittell, Associate Professor of American Studies and Film & Media
Culture
Chair of Film & Media Culture Department
Middlebury College
208 Axinn Center at Starr Library
Middlebury, Vermont 05753
(802) 443-3435 / fax: (802) 443-2805