SCREEN-L Archives

February 2009, Week 3

From:
Jason Mittell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Feb 2009 09:19:22 -0500
Sorry for the self-promotion and cross-posting, but I wanted to announce the
publication of my new book, Television & American Culture (Oxford UP). It's
a textbook designed for introduction to television or media courses, with a
cultural approach to the medium and an emphasis on contemporary examples. To
get a sense of the book's scope, here is the table of contents:

Introduction: Why Television? 1
SECTION 1: TELEVISION INSTITUTIONS 15
Chapter 1: Exchanging Programming 17
Chapter 2: Exchanging Audiences 54
Chapter 3: Serving the Public Interest 99
Chapter 4: Televised Citizenship 126
SECTION 2: TELEVISION MEANINGS 159
Chapter 5: Making Meaning 161
Chapter 6: Telling Television Stories 213
Chapter 7: Screening America 269
Chapter 8: Representing Identity 305
SECTION 3: TELEVISION PRACTICES 355
Chapter 9: Viewing Television 357
Chapter 10: Television for Children 383
Chapter 11: Television's Transforming Technologies 403
Conclusion: American Television in a Global Context 438

You can find more info at the companion website
http://tvamericanculture.net, and the official OUP site
http://tinyurl.com/tvoup , including how to request a review copy for
faculty interested in adoption.

I hope some of you find it a useful book for teaching, or as a general
"state of the medium" overview.

Best,
-Jason Mittell

---
Jason Mittell, Associate Professor of American Studies and Film & Media
Culture
Chair of Film & Media Culture Department
Middlebury College
208 Axinn Center at Starr Library
Middlebury, Vermont 05753
(802) 443-3435 / fax: (802) 443-2805