SCREEN-L Archives

February 2009, Week 2

Date:
Sun, 8 Feb 2009 12:29:34 -0600
Greetings,

We want to let you know that the new issue of Flow: A Critical Forum on
Television and Media Culture is available at http://flowtv.org.

We asked. You Voted. The Flow Editorial Staff is proud to present
FlowTV's "Top 10" Lists of 2008. Lists include Top 10 TV Shows, Top 10
Under 10, Top 10 Under 10: Election Edition, Top 10 Failures, and Top
10 Video Games. (http://flowtv.org/?p=2427 )

In addition to the "Top 10" Lists, this issue features columns from
Michela Ardizzoni, Chris Russill, Lisa W. Kelly, Julia Lesage, Mary
Celeste Kearney, Christine Quail, and Nick Marx.

This issue's columns in brief:

"Reality Television Is No Ground Breaking " by Michela Ardizzoni
(http://flowtv.org/?p=2378 ):
A critique of the representation of gender and relationships on
Italian reality television programming.

"Climate Change TV" by Chris Russill (http://flowtv.org/?p=2372):
An inquiry into the present and future state of climate change news on
television.

"10 Years Younger: The Women Deemed ?Too Old? For TV " by Lisa W.
Kelly (http://flowtv.org/?p=2327):
Late-night musings on the last of the original kings of comedy.

"The Dog Whisperer as Leader of the Pack" by Julia Lesage
(http://flowtv.org/?p=2355):
Analyzing the televisual presence of Cesar on The Dog Whisperer.

"Malia Obama, Girl Photographer " by Mary Celeste Kearney
(http://flowtv.org/?p=2360 ):
A look at how President Obama's eldest daughter both upholds and
challenges long-held notions about girls and technology.

"Hip To Be Square: Nerds in Media Culture" by Christine Quail
(http://flowtv.org/?p=2383):
An exploration of the transformation of "the nerd" in popular media
and its significance in our society.

"Nowhere to Go but Up: Redeeming HBO?s Eastbound & Down" by Nick Marx
(http://flowtv.org/?p=2331):
Critiquing and contextualizing HBO'S new show Eastbound & Down as the
latest 'cringe' comedy .

Interested in supporting Flow? Visit our 'Support Flow' page:
http://flowtv.org/?page_id=2143

We look forward to your visit and encourage your comments.

Best wishes,

Flow Editorial Staff