SCREEN-L Archives

October 2008, Week 3

Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 2008 18:48:12 -0400
Recently writer Grant Morrison discussed the use of a similar though not entirely from-above "shot" in his Batman/Final Crisis run:

As an example of the type of [disorienting] technique I'm using for instance, when the heroes all gather in Final Crisis #3, there's a kind of subversion of the usual gung-ho effect of such a gathering. There's a real feeling that these people have no hope. And that's because it's shot from above, and we see them all from above, just kind of standing there. And even Alan Scott's viewed from above, and he's supposed to be the guy giving the big ra-ra speech.  (http://uk.comics.ign.com/articles/902/902992p3.html)

On 10/13/08 1:03 PM, "Scott Wilson" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> Dear all;
>> a student of mine is engaged in a research project exploring the history, use
>> and implications of the God (or God's-Eye) POV shot. We've ticked off the
>> usual suspects (Hitchcock; Von Trier etc) and are wondering if you know of any
>> examples off-hand, or of any attempts to theorise this shot in particular?
>>
>> Best,
>> Scott.
>>
>> Dr. Scott Wilson
>> Programme Co-Ordinator: Performing and Screen Arts Theory.
>> Screen Studies Co-Ordinator & Lecturer
>> School of Performing and Screen Arts
>> Unitec New Zealand
>> Te Whare Wananga o Wairaka
>> Private Bag 92025
>> Auckland, New Zealand
>> Extension 7855
>>
>> ----

"Report back to me when....   I don't know.  When it makes sense."