SCREEN-L Archives

August 2008, Week 4

From:
Cynthia Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 2008 13:30:40 -0400
The panel below seeks one additional presenter.  Please forward your abstracts, questions, or indications of interest directly to Lisa Klarr and Gerry Canavan at [log in to unmask]

2008 Film & History Conference
Time Travel Area
Panel Proposal

Reproducing Life: Biopolitics and Time Travel

Wait a minute, Doc-are you trying to tell me that my mother has got the hots
for me?
-Marty McFly

This panel will consider the biopolitical implications of time travel, the
ways in which the possibilities and anxieties of time travel reflect
particular systems of social control. Why does the fantasy of a "time
machine" arise concurrently with the rigorous standardization of time in the
industrial west? How does time travel probe the lacunae and excesses of a
biopolitical regime? Can it be understood to reflect, or even reinforce,
biopower? What might it mean to speak of an ecology of time travel?

Lisa Klarr
Gerry Canavan
Duke University