SCREEN-L Archives

July 2008, Week 2

From:
James Steffen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 2008 13:48:29 -0400
You could do worse than to refer people to the Sight and Sound Top Ten Polls:

	http://www.bfi.org.uk/sightandsound/topten/poll/

These are much more diverse and authoritative than the notoriously bland AFI lists, because they reflect the consensus of an *international* selection of critics and filmmakers. For instance, the 2002 Critic's Poll includes:

1. CITIZEN KANE
2. VERTIGO
3. LA REGLE DU JEU
4. THE GODFATHER, parts I and II
5. TOKYO STORY
6. 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY
7. THE BATTLESHIP POTEMKIN
8. SUNRISE
9. 8 1/2
10. SINGIN' IN THE RAIN

Here are the "long" (more than four votes) and "all films voted for" lists:

	http://www.bfi.org.uk/sightandsound/topten/poll/critics-long.html
	http://www.bfi.org.uk/sightandsound/topten/poll/list.php?list=films

The nice thing is that many of these are films that instructors I know actually use for courses, and not just in Film Studies programs. I've seen Chaplin's MODERN TIMES taught in a philosophy course, and a Creative Writing professor uses Keaton's THE GENERAL, to name just two examples.

It's great to see individual critics championing Indian, Iranian, and Latin American films, and there are several women filmmakers on the full list. One possible downside is that the list strongly favors narrative feature films over documentary and experimental/avant-garde films, though a few are included here and there.

Best,
James Steffen

--
James M. Steffen, PhD