SCREEN-L  May 2008, Week 4

SCREEN-L May 2008, Week 4

Re: Books about Film

Ray Haberski <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 27 May 2008 10:17:03 -0400

Having recently written on the NYC avant garde scene, I found Parker
Tyler's books (especially Underground Film) and Jonas Mekas's Movie
Journal to be quite timeless.  I also think two of Gilbert Seldes's
books are essential for the foundation of movies in America: The Seven
Lively Arts and The Great Audience.

Thanks for a good discussion.

Ray Haberski

Raymond J. Haberski, Jr., Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Department of History and Social Science
Director, Honors Program
http://hss.marian.edu/haberski.html
http://honors.marian.edu/
-----Original Message-----
From: Film and TV Studies Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
On Behalf Of Amy Holberg
Sent: Monday, May 26, 2008 5:40 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SCREEN-L] Books about Film

This is fun! My two contributions under "not the usual subjects" are
both
explicitly about film:

1. Ingmar Bergman's "The Magic Lantern" -- terrific book; convincing
depiction of the art film as an organic piece of the entire cinema
landscape, also a terrific evocation of what makes cinema so compelling
for
those who become film artists, and it's enjoyable as autobiography of a
great figure in cinema

2. Amos Vogel's "Film as a Subversive Art" (1974) -- Collection of short
essays and an annotated catalog of avant-garde and New Wave films;
wonderful
photos and descriptions. I love this book; it's definitely "of it's
time"
(which also makes it interesting to read as an example of 1970s film
criticism and theory), and the essays are more short ruminations on a
topic
than fully developed arguments, but it is just FULL of substantial
considerations of experimental narrative films. It really imparts a
sense of
the range and variety of film experiments within the narrative cinema.

Under "the usual suspects," Eisenstein's essays collected in "Film Form"
would be at the top of my list.

Amy Holberg
Kailua, HI