SCREEN-L Archives

April 2008, Week 3

From:
Sandy Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 2008 17:25:31 +0100
Dear Screen-L subscribers

I have recently launched a competition that I thought might be of
interest to some members on this list, and I would love to hear from
anyone who would be interested in entering- you could win even win a
cash prize of £300 ($600).

To enter the competition you must write an essay of at least 500 words
that aims to prove Junior (1994, staring Arnold Schwarzenegger as a
pregnant scientist) as being a cultural landmark in film making, and
that it could thus be considered to be the greatest film ever made. I am
putting up seven cash prizes for winning entries – one grand prize of
£300 ($600) and six category prizes of £50 ($100).

The deadline for entries is May 9th, and already a number of writers
have signed up from some extremely different backgrounds, each basing
their approach to the challenge on equally diverse areas of research. I
hope that some members of this list will feel they could manipulate
their existing areas of expertise to form a study of Junior. It’s
tongue-in-cheek, but I hope people will have a bit of fun with the idea
and treat the essay as deep study into an interesting piece of cultural
detritus. If this doesn’t appeal to you personally, please forward this
email to someone you think may enjoy the challenge – the more entries,
the more interesting the results are sure to be!

For full details of the competition, or if you would like to read the
2000-word commissioned essay that inspired the competition, pay a visit
to www.juniorbestfilmever.com

Yours,

Sandy Smith