SCREEN-L Archives

December 2007, Week 1

From:
Mark Nornes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Dec 2007 14:33:16 -0500
I thought I would report that the Ann Arbor Film Festival just won its
federal lawsuit against the State of Michigan regarding arts funding.
A couple years ago, a small group of conservatives attacked the
festival, accusing it of showing pornography. They deployed a
frequently used tactic:  stopping public funding. Soon they had enough
political allies to get the state to make programming changes (no sex;
no flag desecration) a prerequisite to further funding. The board of
the festival refused, and fought back. They refused to take ANY state
funds until the issue was resolved. They programmed an entire
subsection on explicit films and videos, and held a special
retrospective of the films the politicians singled out as
pornographic. And they sued with the help of the ACLU. Today the State
decide to settle the suit by repealing the unconstitutional
restrictions on arts funding, bringing state law into line with the
previous lawsuits filed in support of the National Endowment for the
Arts.

For more information, check out:

http://www.aafilmfest.org/about/censorship/

This is really great news. Ann Arbor Film Festival is one of the grand-
daddies of the festival scene (next March's festival is #46), and
precious both to the independent film community and our local
community. But their brave stance has cost a lot, as they took a
mighty financial hit last year.

Thought you should know.....

Markus

A. M. Nornes
Professor
Department of Screen Arts & Cultures
Department of Asian Languages & Cultures
University of Michigan
Department of Asian Languages and Cultures
Suite 6111, 202 South Thayer Street
Ann Arbor, MI  48104-1608
Phone:  (734) 647-2094; FAX: x0157
Homepage: www.umich.edu/~amnornes

----
Learn to speak like a film/TV professor! Listen to the ScreenLex
podcast:
http://www.screenlex.org