SCREEN-L Archives

November 2007, Week 3

Date:
Thu, 15 Nov 2007 12:31:53 -0500
Hello Everyone,

On behalf of Women Make Movies, a non-profit distributor of independent
educational media, I want to let you all know about an extraordinary
documentary airing on PBS's INDEPENDENT LENS Tuesday November 27, 2007.

SISTERS IN LAW follows the journey of Vera Ngassa and Beatrice Ntuba,
two extraordinary women in a small Cameroon village who use their
positions as state prosecutor and court president to fight cases of
domestic abuse against women. At once funny and profound, the
protagonists of this moving documentary prove how the power of
compassionate justice can affect a community in transition.

Women Make Movies is proud to be distributing SISTERS IN LAW, and we
invite you to tune in on November 27th for the national broadcast
premiere of SISTERS IN LAW on the acclaimed PBS series INDEPENDENT LENS!

The national broadcast of this powerful documentary offers an
unprecedented opportunity to raise awareness about violence against
women, a human rights issue that affects women across the globe. Not
only is SISTERS IN LAW a remarkable story, but it also presents a
progressive model for empowerment, advocacy and change at the community
level. We're hoping to gain your support in helping us spread the word
to those who may have a special interest in the critical issues raised
by this film.

Here's how you can help:

> Tune in to the broadcast premiere on PBS, Nov 27th
  check local listings for time
(http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/sistersinlaw/)
> Forward the announcement below to members, associates, or individual
friends and colleagues who you think may be interested.
  [Link to: http://www.wmm.com/filmcatalog/pages/c645.shtml]
> Forward this e-mail other interested parties or listservs.

> Learn more about the film:
http://www.wmm.com/filmcatalog/pages/c645.shtml

Sincerely,

Jenny Kwon on behalf of

Sarah Reynolds
Educational Sales & Marketing Coordinator
WOMEN MAKE MOVIES

462 Broadway, Suite 500
New York, NY 10013
tel 212.925.0606 ext. 312
fax 212.925.2052
[log in to unmask] | www.wmm.com

Critic and Audience Favorite SISTERS IN LAW has National Broadcast
Premiere on Emmy-Award Winning Series, Independent Lens, Nov. 27

NATIONAL BROADCAST
PREMIERE
PBS | NOV 27 | 10 PM
Check Local Listings:
www.pbs.org/independentlens/sistersinlaw

"POSITIVELY SOARS...
Who are these women, and can they please
take over the world soon?"
- Nathan Lee, New York Times

"INSPIRATIONAL"
- J. Hoberman, Village Voice

After winning more than twenty awards (including the Cannes Film
Festival's prestigious Prix Art et Essai), after screening at more
than 150 film festivals around the world, and after a national
theatrical release that had critics and audiences raving, SISTERS IN
LAW finally comes to U.S. TV! WMM is pleased to announce the broadcast
premiere of this acclaimed documentary on the Emmy-Award winning PBS
series, Independent Lens, November 27 at 10 pm on most PBS stations.\

================
ABOUT THE FILM
================
From internationally acclaimed director Kim Longinotto and co-director
Florence Ayisi, this totally fascinating, often hilarious doc is set
in a small courthouse in Cameroon where two women determined to change
a village are making progress that could change the world.

======================
HELP SPREAD THE WORD!
======================
> Tune in to the broadcast premiere on PBS on Nov. 27 at 10 PM (check
local listings).

> Forward this email on to your organization's members, friends, and
colleagues.

> Post an announcement about the film and broadcast to your listserv.

> Include information about the film and broadcast in your newsletter.

> Link your website to http://www.wmm.com/sistersinlaw/

Find out more about the film at
http://www.wmm.com/filmcatalog/pages/c645.shtml

========================
ABOUT WOMEN MAKE MOVIES
========================
Established in 1972 to address the under-representation and
misrepresentation of women in the media, Women Make Movies is a
non-profit media arts organization and the world's leading distributor
of independent films by and about women. WMM focuses on cutting-edge
documentaries that give depth to today's headlines, as well as
artistically and intellectually challenging works in all genres. Our
complete catalog of films includes more than 500 titles from more than
400 filmmakers and 30 countries around the world. Visit our website at
www.wmm.com to see our full collection of films, find current special
offers, learn more about our filmmakers and order online.

Women Make Movies * 462 Broadway #500 * New York * NY * 10013

----
Learn to speak like a film/TV professor! Listen to the ScreenLex
podcast:
http://www.screenlex.org