SCREEN-L Archives

November 2007, Week 1

From:
Avi Santo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Nov 2007 14:54:47 +0000
Welcome to a special Nordic media-themed week from In Media Res. While each of the curators this week will respond to the other contributions, the forum is still open to everyone to add their comments as well.  Please feel free to respond to their comments and add your own thoughts and ideas about the series as well.

This will be the first of seven themed weeks for In Media Res this season. We will also be showcasing themed weeks on Latino media, fandom, corporate authorship, dance, alternative media and interfaces.

http://mediacommons.futureofthebook.org

So, without further ado, this week’s In Media Res line-up:

Monday, November 5, 2007 – Christian Christensen (Karlstad University  -- Sweden) presents: “ABBA 1974: The Birth of Swedish Modernity?”

Tuesday, November 6, 2007 – Sari Elfving (University of Tampere -- Finland) presents: “‘I miss my superfast broadband!’ Comical heroes in phone operator's tv commercials”

Wednesday, November 7, 2007 – Espen Ytreberg (University of Oslo  -- Norway) presents: “Amateur?”

Thursday, November 8, 2007 – Anna Orrghen (Södertörn University College-- Sweden) presents: “Katarina Löfström's "High Noon": The Materiality of a Medium”

Friday, November 9, 2007 – Mari Pajala (University of Turku -- Finland) presents: “What is so comical about old choreography?”

Please check out these wonderful contributions and offer your thoughts via a comment.

http://mediacommons.futureofthebook.org

ABOUT IN MEDIA RES

In Media Res is envisioned as an experiment in just one sort of collaborative, multi-modal scholarship that MediaCommons will aim to foster. Its primary goal is to provide a forum for more immediate critical engagement with media in a manner closer to how we typically experience mediated texts.

Each day, a different media scholar will present a 30-second to 3-minute clip accompanied by a 250-300-word impressionistic response. The goal is to promote an online dialogue amongst media scholars and the public about contemporary media scholarship through clips chosen for either their typicality or a-typicality in demonstrating narrative strategies, genre formulations, aesthetic choices, representational practices, institutional approaches, fan engagements, etc.

Best,

Avi Santo

Avi Santo, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
3014 Batten Arts & Letters (BAL)
Department of Communication and Theatre Arts
Old Dominion University
Norfolk, Virginia 23529
(757) 683-6971

Co-Coordinating Editor: MediaCommons: A Digital Scholarly Network
http://mediacommons.futureofthebook.org
Co-Creator: Flow: Television and Media Culture
http://www.flowtv.org

Express yourself with free Messenger emoticons. Get them today!
http://www.freemessengeremoticons.ca/?icid=EMENCA122
----
Learn to speak like a film/TV professor! Listen to the ScreenLex
podcast:
http://www.screenlex.org