SCREEN-L Archives

October 2007, Week 5

Date:
Tue, 30 Oct 2007 14:37:37 -0500
Greetings,

We want to let you know that the new issue of Flow: A Critical Forum on
Television and Media Culture is out.

This week begins a new volume of Flow and a whole new group of contributors.

Before discussing this week’s columns, we want you to know that we have
officially begun planning our second Flow conference. Be sure to answer this
issue’s poll question that asks: “When are you most likely to attend a Flow
conference?” to help us plan accordingly.

This issue’s columns in brief:

“The Good, The Bad, and the Best” by Mara Einstein
A&E’s reality series Dog: The Bounty Hunter presents intersections of crime,
religious faith, and branding.

“A Tale of Two Slackers” by Kathy Battles
The slacker heroes of Chuck and Psych may have more in common than would first
appear.

“‘Screenifying’ Choreography: The New Parameters of Social Interaction as
Envisioned by Bill T Jones’ Blind Date” by Anna Beatrice Scott
The screen’s ubiquitous presence in the modern world has transformed our lives
from how we interact to the way we move. In this transformation have we all
become sitting ducks?

“Sports Commentary and the Problem of Television Knowledge” by John Jordan
Given the ubiquity of sports commentary on television, there must be some
perceived purpose behind it. But what might that purpose be?

“Guy-Coms and the Hegemony of Juvenile Masculinity” by Tim Havens
Tim Havens writes here about the “guy-com,” suggesting that “guy-coms serve not
only as the predominant form of domestic sitcom, but also help make juvenile
masculinity hegemonic in U.S. culture.”

“How Not to Format (or, what the global format trade could teach Tim Gunn)” by
Tasha Oren
Tim Gunn’s Guide to Style fails because it adheres too tightly to its own
conventions.

We look forward to your visit and encourage your comments.

Best wishes,

Flow Editorial Staff