SCREEN-L Archives

October 2007, Week 1

From:
James Steffen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Oct 2007 10:59:27 -0400
Dear all:

Some of you are probably aware of this already, but Turner Classic Movies is
broadcasting the 2005 restoration of THE BATTLESHIP POTEMKIN, accompanied by
Edmund Meisel's orchestral score, on Sunday, October 21 at midnight EST.
This is the same version slated for DVD release by Kino on October 23.

Here's a link to my article for TCM about the restoration:

http://www.tcm.turner.com/thismonth/article.jsp?cid=180855

I personally think this new version plays much more effectively than the
sluggish, stretch-printed 1976 Soviet version released on DVD previously.
It's also a better looking transfer, with less cropping around the edges.

Cheers,

James Steffen

James M. Steffen
Film Studies and Media Librarian
Theater and Dance Subject Liaison
Marian K. Heilbrun Music and Media Library
Robert W. Woodruff Library, Emory University
Atlanta, GA 30322-2870

Phone: (404) 727-8107
FAX: (404) 727-2257
Email: <mailto:[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask]

http://www.ScreenSite.org