SCREEN-L Archives

September 2007, Week 3

From:
Lucas Hilderbrand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Sep 2007 12:03:13 -0700
Call for Submissions:
"Experiments in Documentary"
a special issue of
Millennium Film Journal
Guest edited by Lucas Hilderbrand with Lynne Sachs

Deadline: January 15, 2008
Publication: Fall 2008

Some of the most compelling and urgent media work of the past several years—indeed of the past few decades—has traversed between the categories of documentary and experimental, video art and essay genres. As alternative media and experimental expressions, these works play with form, with structure, with memoir, with truth, with history, and with activism. How do such artists who do the work of documentary—and yet are not primarily considered documentarians—complicate our conceptions of non-fiction cinema? How do they expand our conception of experimental film? We seek critical essays (especially those that connect multiple artists), artists’ pages, images, artists’ statements, interviews, reviews, open letters, and other submissions related to the concept of experimental documentary.

Queries can be emailed to Lucas at [log in to unmask] Submissions should be emailed to Lucas at this address or mailed to: Lucas Hilderbrand, Film and Media Studies, 235 Humanities Instructional Building, University of California-Irvine, Irvine, CA 92697-2435.

Please forward this call to anyone you think would be interested in contributing.