SCREEN-L Archives

September 2007, Week 1

Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2007 09:31:05 -0500
Greetings,

We want to let you know that the new issue of Flow: A Critical Forum on
Television and Media Culture is out.

This issue features columns by Michele Byers, Alan McKee, Jeffrey P. Jones,
Judith Halberstam, Gareth Palmer, and Joan Hawkins.

Please visit the journal at http://www.flowtv.org to read these columns and
contribute responses to them.

This issue's columns in brief:

"Durham County: 'HBO can eat its heart out'" by Michele Byers:
Durham County (2007) is a hybrid creature–exportable Canadian drama stripped of
all national and cultural markers and defying generic conventions. The
six-episode series about a cop and a serial killer competes with the US
specialty cable market and is grabbing both audience approval and critical
acclaim.

“The Seven Steps to Getting a Job in Television" by Alan McKee:
You want to work in television, do you? These seven steps might prove useful.

"Punk-Rock Presidency: The State of Presidential Satire on Television" by
Jeffrey P. Jones:
Presidential caricature on television has come a long way from the days of
presidential impersonators on late-night talk shows or sketch comedy send-ups
on Saturday Night Live. The bookending of the Bush presidency by Comedy
Central’s That’s My Bush! and Lil’ Bush announces a bold new era in the
satirization of a sitting president.

"Pixarvolt – Animation and Revolt" by Judith Halberstam:
In contemporary animated feature films for kids, a genre I call “pixarvolt,”
certain topics which would never ever appear in adult films are central to the
success and emotional impact of the narrative.

"Talent: No Alarms and No Surprises, Please." by Gareth Palmer:
What is talent now? A starry rope-ladder to the celebrity scaffold? Or a gift?
You decide …

"Dish Towns USA (or Rural Screens)–Part 2" by Joan Hawkins:
People work long hard hours in multiple jobs to make ends meet, and they
frequently have little money left over for the kinds of services that many of
us consider essential—services like communication.

Also, vote for your favorite television performers in Part II of our Emmy
Nominations poll.

We look forward to your visit and encourage your comments.

Best wishes,

Flow Editorial Staff

http://www.ScreenSite.org