SCREEN-L Archives

August 2007, Week 2

From:
"Peter C. Rollins" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Aug 2007 21:10:07 EDT
Call for Papers: Will Rogers and American Humor

2008 Southwest/Texas Popular Culture/American Culture Association
29th Annual Conference in Albuquerque, New Mexico
February 13-16, 2007
The 2008 SW/TX PCA/ACA Conference will be held in Albuquerque, New Mexico at
the Hyatt Regency downtown. Join us this year, as a returning or first-time
participant, as we celebrate a new future on Route 66 at this regional
popular culture conference. Further details regarding the conference (listing of
all subject areas, hotel, registration, tours, etc.) can be found at
_http://www.h-net.org/~swpca/_ (http://www.h-net.org/~swpca/) or just Google “
Southwest PCA” for a plethora of information.
Proposals are now being accepted for our American Humor and Will Rogers
Area. Listed below are some suggestions for possible presentations, but topics
not included here are also welcome. See the Will Rogers web site for other
topics and rich areas for research. Please remember that there are Collected
Writings of Will Rogers in libraries, fully indexed and ready to roll.
More general and traditional topics of American Humor are welcomed, so
please contact us with your ideas.
This year it I our goal to especially stress the works of Oklahoma’s gift to
the Southwest, William Penn Adair Rogers. Here are some ideas….
The Journalism of Will Rogers
Film 1: Will Rogers in the Sound Era
Film 2: The Silent Films of Will Rogers
The Literary Style of Will Rogers
Will Rogers and American Humor
Will Rogers on War
Will Rogers on American Foreign Policy
Will Rogers on the New Woman
Will Rogers on Congress
Will Rogers and the Presidency
Will Rogers and the Supreme Court
The Native American dimension of Will Rogers
Will Rogers and Oklahoma Humor
AND any NON-Will Rogers topics related to American Humor
Inquiries regarding this area and/or abstracts of 250 words may be sent to
Peter Rollins or Steven K. Gragert at the email or physical addresses below as
soon as possible, but no later than November 1, 2007. Please include a
one-page curriculum vitae and a working bibliography for your paper.
Peter C. Rollins
Ridgemont Media
RR 3 Box 80
Cleveland, OK 74020