SCREEN-L Archives

July 2007, Week 1

From:
Miriam Posner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jun 2007 12:32:50 -0500
The Museum of the Moving Image is compiling a list of trustworthy online
sources to help students conduct responsible Internet research about film,
television, and digital media. We've put our heads together and we're pretty
sure we've covered all the well-known research sites: JSTOR, ProQuest,
WorldCat, AFI catalog, etc.

Now we're interested in more obscure, but still trustworthy, sites.
Determining a site's reputability is, of course, more art than science, but
we're looking for Web pages that you wouldn't mind your students citing on a
research paper. For example, the Museum of Broadcast Communication's online
encyclopedia (http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/) is a source students
aren't likely to know offhand, but might find helpful. The same goes for the
Autry Museum's page on Sergio Leone
(http://www.autrynationalcenter.org/leone/) and Virginia Commonwealth
University's detailed history of the Grace Street Theater
(http://www.library.vcu.edu/jbc/speccoll/lee.html).

I'd love to hear what you use for online research. It's okay if they're more
general sites, as long as they can be used to research film, television, or
digital media. Journal aggregators, bibliographies, online exhibits, and
stand-alone Web pages are all welcome.

Please send them to me directly ([log in to unmask]) and if you're
interested, I'll compile a list of your links and post it to the listserv.

Thank you!

MIRIAM POSNER
ASSOCIATE CURATOR OF THE COLLECTION
MUSEUM OF THE MOVING IMAGE