SCREEN-L Archives

July 2007, Week 1

From:
Warren Buckland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2007 09:27:56 -0400
FIRST CALL FOR PAPERS

SPIELBERG AT 60 INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE

Tuesday 20 - Wednesday 21 November 2007 University of Lincoln, England,
UK

Keynote speakers: Robert Phillip Kolker (University of Virginia, USA);
Peter Kramer, (University of East Anglia, UK);  Murray Pomerance
(Ryerson University, Canada); Linda Ruth Williams (University of
Southampton, UK)

With over two dozen features to his credit and more in preparation,
history’s most commercially successful film director continues to
attract accolades and fierce criticism in equal measure. During the
last year, three major new books have afforded Spielberg’s work a
sustained level of academic attention that previously was lacking:
Warren Buckland’s Directed by Steven Spielberg: Poetics of the
Contemporary Hollywood Blockbuster, Lester D. Friedman’s Citizen
Spielberg and Nigel Morris’s The Cinema of Steven Spielberg: Empire of
Light.

Now the three authors are combining forces to convene an international
conference. Their aim is to bring together scholars to debate the
significance of Spielberg’s work – whether in a spirit of celebration,
condemnation or non-partisan (albeit positioned) academic enquiry.

Proposals (in the form of 250-300 word abstracts in English) for
20-minute presentations are invited on any topic pertaining to
Spielberg as a filmmaker. Longer papers will also be considered.

Deadline for proposals: 20 July (international), 1 August (UK)

Please email your proposal as a Word attachment to

headed "Spielberg at Sixty." It will be made anonymous before
forwarding to the selection committee. A selection of papers from the
conference will be published in a special issue of The New Review of
Film and Television Studies.

Further details, including fees and accommodation, will be posted on
the University of Lincoln website: www.lincoln.ac.uk under "Events and
Conferences" and on a dedicated conference website, "Spielberg at Sixty"

 Co-convenors:  Warren Buckland, Lester D. Friedman, Nigel Morris

"Spielberg at Sixty” thanks Wallflower Press for assistance and
University of Illinois Press for sponsorship.

Warren Buckland

Latest book: "Directed by Steven Spielberg:
Poetics of the Contemporary Hollywood Blockbuster"

Editor, New Review of Film and Television Studies:
http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/titles/17400309.asp