SCREEN-L Archives

July 2007, Week 1

From:
Timothy Shary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2007 13:35:31 -0400
Debbie,

   I'm the new director of film and video studies at the University of Oklahoma, so if you are doing work on youth, I'd be happy to meet up and share ideas.

   I saw Krin Gabbard suggested "The People Under the Stairs", which does indeed have an unusual statement about race, youth, and fantasy/horror.

   You would also do well to examine the Gordon Parks film "The Learning Tree" (1968), although it's essentially realist.

   An under-rated but excellent film by Kasi Lemmons, "Eve's Bayou" (1995), deals with African American children involved in a mystery, with some fantasy elements.

   I thought "Fresh" (1994) was an interesting turn on the youth crime dramas of the early '90s, and it has some mystery aspects to it, although it's arguable if it takes on fantastic dimensions.

   Would you consider "Fat Albert" (2004) a fantasy?

   I've never seen it, but "Runt" (2005) may be helpful since it has fantastic elements, although the focus is on adult characters.

   As for the traditional fantasy genre, all I can think of are the "Blade" films, which I think are all about adults, and there was that Bill Cosby movie "Ghost Dad" (1990) that may qualify.    In more of a horror mode there was also "Tales from the Hood" (1995), which is worth seeing.

   Best wishes with this--

   Tim Shary