SCREEN-L Archives

July 2007, Week 1

Sender:
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2007 11:55:07 -0500
Greetings,

We just wanted to let you know that the new issue of Flow: A Critical Forum on
Television and Media Culture is out.

Before discussing this week's columns, we are excited to introduce a new feature
of our site: FLOW Reader Polls. Beginning with this issue, we will post
questions about FLOW content, functionality, and more. As we receive votes, our
new polling feature provides real-time results. We hope you will take a moment
to answer our first poll questions by clicking the "Reader Polls" link at the
top of our home page.

This issue features columns by Jeffrey Jones, Gareth Palmer, Michelle Byers,
Joan Hawkins, and Ray Cha.

Please visit the journal at http://www.flowtv.org to read these columns and
contribute responses to them.

This issue's columns in brief:

"The Joys of 'Civic TV,' or Television You Probably Don't Watch" by Jeffrey
Jones:
Government access television is often much more than boring city council
meetings. With an increase in quality productions in communities across the
nation, “Civic TV” may be as close as we get in the U.S. to the public
service broadcasting tradition of other nations.

"Kyle-Time: You Can't Touch This" by Gareth Palmer:
Britain’s Jeremy Kyle demonstrates why television’s need to maximize emotional
performances and responses means that producers invest in those most likely to
offer confessional behaviour for public consumption.

"The Empty Archive: Canadian Television and the Erasure of History" by Michele
Byers:
Canadian television texts and the field of Canadian television studies appear to
be enjoying a surge of development and visibility, but there is one major
stumbling block to this work… there is no archive of Canadian television where
materials could be made available to the public, scholarly or otherwise.

"Dish Towns USA (or Rural Screens) Part One" by Joan Hawkins:
The fact that rural dish users reside in the country whose culture—without the
dish—is so frequently unavailable to them is one of the things we need to take
into account when we discuss audience.

"Freeing the Thirty Minute Sit-Com" by Ray Cha:
YouTube and other video on demand services are changing the terms of television
programming and distribution, as well as control and access over
televisual material.

We look forward to your visit and encourage your comments.

Best wishes,

Flow Editorial Staff