SCREEN-L Archives

June 2007, Week 3

From:
Dennis Bingham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jun 2007 16:31:20 -0400
Good question.  The biopic genre, which I work in, provides almost
innumerable examples of films that start in childhood and establish a
continuity into adulthood. Think of recent, conventional biopics like
RAY and WALK THE LINE, which show the subject as steeped in specific
childhood trauma that must be worked out in adulthood. Actually, these
films are also rooted in the therapeutic subgenre. A film like MARNIE,
which posits an adult protagonist with a childhood trauma is as much
the prototype for those films as classical biopics are. So many
entertainer biopics of the '40s introduced the talented hero as a child
(e.g., YANKEE DOODLE DANDY, THE JOLSON STORY) that the convention was
ripe for parody in Don Lockwood's opening soliloquy in SINGIN' IN THE
RAIN.

Films from ANNIE HALL, in which the adult Alvy Singer communes with his
childhood counterpart to Jane Campion's AN ANGEL AT MY TABLE, based on
Janet Frame's three-volume autobiography, make the child intrinsic to
the adult. ANGEL AT MY TABLE, in which the heroine is played for
extended lengths by three actresses, in childhood, adolescence, and
adulthood, probably comes the closest to the structure you're thinking
of. However, MYSTIC RIVER, in which a childhood event marks each of
the three friends for life and INFERNAL AFFAIRS and THE DEPARTED, in
which the gangster recruits his eventual cop mole while the kid is
still in short pants, have to be said to feature childhood in more than
just fleeting flashbacks (as in DEAD MAN WALKING). The possibilities
here seem almost countless. Hope this helps.
--
Dennis Bingham
Associate Professor and Director of Film Studies

http://www.ScreenSite.org