SCREEN-L Archives

April 2007, Week 4

From:
Janet Staiger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2007 22:39:23 -0500
Media History:  What are the Issues?
Call for Papers
ABSTRACTS DUE MAY 1, 2007

University of Texas at Austin
October 11-13, 2007

Autodidacts produced the first histories of film and television;
academicians contributed tomes from the 1960s on, with waves of fact-philia
and empiricism-phobia following.  Now, after 100 years of writing media
histories, it seems opportune both to take stock and to move forward,
perhaps optimistically.

This conference seeks to ask:  Where are we now?  What are the issues today
in writing media history and histories?   What have we accomplished?  Where
might we go?  For whom and why?   Papers may present historical work in
progress but should indicate a metahistorical or historiographical
contribution.  Papers may deal with a single medium or the problems of
writing multi-media or convergent histories.  Papers may consider a
"single" production/reception space (e.g., Bollywood, Hong Kong, the
Kayapo, Ingmar Bergman, Al Jazeera, MySpace, YOUTUBE, the ColbertNation) or
cultural flows.

Confirmed keynote speakers are:

Michele Hilmes, University of Wisconsin, Madison
James Lastra, University of Chicago
Hamid Naficy, Northwestern University
Kathleen Newman, University of Iowa
Chon Noriega, University of California at Los Angeles
Gaylyn Studlar, University of Michigan

Abstracts of no more than 750 words and author biographies of no more than
150 words should be sent to Janet Staiger
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>[log in to unmask] by May 1,
2007.  Notification of acceptances will be sent by June 1, 2007.   We may
consider creating an anthology of the papers; thus, we request right of
first publication if we accept your proposal for the
conference.  Notification regarding the anthology will be made no later
than January 1, 2008.

UT Organizing Committee:  Katie Arens, James Buhler, Jennifer Fuller,
Lalitha Gopalan, Sabine Hake, H-B. Moeller, David Neumeyer, Charles Ramirez
Berg, Joe Straubhaar, Janet Staiger, and Lynn Wilkinson.

----
Learn to speak like a film/TV professor! Listen to the ScreenLex
podcast:
http://www.screenlex.org