SCREEN-L Archives

February 2007, Week 4

Date:
Sun, 25 Feb 2007 09:23:54 -0500
AllMusic lists 306 recordings of "Dark Eyes" though some of these may be other songs with the same title.  Older versions are by Henry Allen, Tommy Dorsey, Ted Heath, Art Tatum and Jack Teagarden.  There are also a large number of recordings from the 50s, possibly a result of that era's nostalgia revival.  The actual dates aren't always completely clear because AllMusic can be a bit iffy on solid discographic info once you're in the 20s-50s.  To find out if the song was an actual hit check the Joel Whitburn books (should be in reference section of any large library).  The Whitburn books have their own limitations for the 30s but nothing else is remotely as reliable.

The larger interesting question is why some pieces of music become signifiers for an entire style or even culture? For example "Temptation" is the standard tango or "Hava Nagila" for Judaism or possibly Middle Eastern culture.

Lang Thompson