SCREEN-L Archives

February 2007, Week 1

From:
"Larsson, Donald F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2007 19:33:18 -0600
HAROLD AND MAUDE (again, Bud Cort is young, Ruth Gordon is old) is another possible member of a subset.  A counter-example of non-intimacy between two aging people is Jack Nicholson and Kathy Bates in ABOUT SCHMIDT.  If you're willing to consider an HBO series, SIX FEET UNDER often dealt with Frances Conroy as the aging mother looking for love in most of the wrong places.  Other TV shows might include THE GOLDEN GIRLS and the British LAST OF THE SUMMER WINE and WAITING FOR GOD. The relationship between King George III and Queen Charlotte in THE MADNESS OF KING GEORGE is touching.  Even though "old" is certainly a relative term in their cases, Nicholson and Diane Keaton both seem to have a penchant for later-life romances lately (SOMETHING'S GOTTA GIVE, the new BECAUSE I SAID SO). Bergman's SARABAND might be a fine example for its typical fusing of the erotic and the despairing with Liv Ullman and Erland Josephson.  Ron Howard's COCOON might also be useful.  Also see Rudy Dee and Ossie Davis in DO THE RIGHT THING.  There are also several documentaries that deal with senior sexuality.

Don Larsson

"Nothing is ever the same as they said it was. It's what I've never seen before that I recognize." --Diane Arbus

Donald F. Larsson
Department of English, AH 230
Minnesota State University
Mankato, MN 56001