SCREEN-L Archives

October 2006, Week 4

Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2006 10:02:45 -0500
Greetings,

We just wanted to let you know that the new issue of Flow: A Critical Forum on
Television and Media Culture is out. This issue features columns by Melissa Jane
Hardie, Jennifer Warren, Chuck Tryon, Hector Amaya, Adam Fish, John McMurria,
and Nick Marx.

Please visit the journal at http://www.flowtv.org to read these columns and
contribute responses to them.

This issue's columns in brief:

"Cold Case: Ripped from the Headlines" by Melissa Jane Hardie:
The proliferation of "ripped from the headline stories" impose the task of
harmonising "real" events into more predictable narratives of frustration.

"How Do I Explain This?" by Jennifer Warren:
At Burning Man, everywhere you look, there are art installations and art cars
and art bikes and art camps and artful people.

"Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip: Channeling Howard Beale" by Chuck Tryon:
NBC's "quality" television offering questions the quality of television. But
will it provide further insight into the institution of television?

"Segregados: Why it is OK to Ignore Spanish-Speaking Television" by Hector
Amaya:
The segregation of Spanish-speaking entertainment from the rest of mainstream
television serves not only as a barrier to Latino integration into American
society, but also reinforces the idea that there is something logical and
reasonable about segregating Spanish from our English-speaking lives.

"Paris Hilton--Anthropologist: The Production of Cross-Cultural Difference in
First-Person Adventure Television" by Adam Fish:
With emphasis on cultural encounters, first-person, reality-based adventure
television shares formal and theoretical similarities with select phases in the
history and methodology of ethnography.

"The YouTube Community" by John McMurria:
While the idealization of YouTube as a self-organizing, radically democratic
community for sharing clip culture certainly helped to buffer what could be
considered an act of selling "the community" as property to corporate giant
Google, the image of YouTube as a revolutionary alternative to corporate media
culture has nevertheless been a powerful one.

"Performing Politics" by Nick Marx:
Can Stephen COlbert bully Democrats back into power this midterm?

We look forward to your visit and encourage your comments.

Best wishes,

Flow Editorial Staff

http://www.ScreenSite.org