SCREEN-L Archives

October 2006, Week 3

From:
"Peter C. Rollins" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 2006 11:52:23 EDT
Dear Film Scholars,

    A revised and updated version of the conference program is now on the
web site
for Film & History.

    It looks as though there will be 500 scholars attending our meeting on
"The Documentary Tradition," plus a few hundred local college students eager
to learn about the genre. U of North Texas, Texas Woman's College, and
UT-Arlington will send large contingents.

    Our special, surprise participants are members of the HANSON band; they
will be showing their new documentary entitled "Strong Enough to Break" and
will be looking for invitations to campuses around the country. They are
passionate about the need to change the music industry and want to talk directly
to young people about their ideas, using the film as a catalyst for
discussion.

    Editors from The Journal of Popular Culture, The Journal of American
Culture, Film & History, Post Script, the Literature/Film Quarterly, the Journal
of Popular Film and Television, the Historical Journal of Film, Radio, and
Television will be at the meeting and have a session on the evening of
November 8th in the large Flagship Auditorium.

    Special sessions with scholars Ray Fielding and Betsy McLane and Robert
B. Toplin. Many other senior scholars roaming the halls, to include our
Founder, John E. O'Connor.

    Special film artists: D.A. Pennebaker and Chris Hegedus, Glen Marcus,
the
Mondells with direct discussion of their work. Other filmmakers showing and
telling
in our video rooms.

    Books exhibits with Scholar's Choice and special book signing for the
authors in our
midst.

    Special display by Keith Wheelock of our new "Documentary Archive" on
the web site;
Keith will be soliciting reviewers for the reference source.
([log in to unmask] (mailto:[log in to unmask]) )

    The full span of areas for the meeting plus the revised and updated
program are on the
web site:

    _www.filmandhistory.org_ (http://www.filmandhistory.org)

Be there or be square!