SCREEN-L Archives

October 2006, Week 3

From:
"Peter C. Rollins" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 2006 11:52:23 EDT
Dear Film Scholars,

    A revised and updated version of the conference  program is now on the
web site
for Film & History.

    It looks as though there will be 500 scholars  attending our meeting on
"The Documentary Tradition," plus a few hundred local  college students eager
to learn about the genre.  U of North Texas, Texas  Woman's College, and
UT-Arlington will send large contingents.

    Our special, surprise participants are members of  the HANSON band;  they
will be showing their new documentary entitled  "Strong Enough to Break" and
will be looking for invitations to campuses around  the country.  They are
passionate about the need to change the music  industry and want to talk directly
to young people about their ideas, using the  film as a catalyst for
discussion.

    Editors from The Journal of Popular Culture, The  Journal of American
Culture, Film & History, Post Script, the  Literature/Film Quarterly, the Journal
of Popular Film and Television, the  Historical Journal of Film, Radio, and
Television will be at the meeting and  have a session on the evening of
November 8th in the large Flagship  Auditorium.

    Special sessions with scholars Ray Fielding and  Betsy McLane and Robert
B. Toplin.  Many other senior scholars roaming the  halls, to include our
Founder, John E. O'Connor.

    Special film artists:  D.A. Pennebaker and  Chris Hegedus, Glen Marcus,
the
Mondells with direct discussion of their work.  Other filmmakers  showing and
telling
in our video rooms.

    Books exhibits with Scholar's Choice and special  book signing for the
authors in our
midst.

    Special display by Keith  Wheelock of our new  "Documentary Archive" on
the web site;
Keith will be soliciting reviewers for the reference source.
([log in to unmask] (mailto:[log in to unmask]) )

    The full span of areas for the meeting plus the  revised and updated
program are on the
web site:

    _www.filmandhistory.org_ (http://www.filmandhistory.org)

Be there or be square!