SCREEN-L Archives

September 2006, Week 4

Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2006 10:47:49 -0500
In addition to our regular columnists and guest columns, FLOW is also committed
to publishing topical one-time columns. If you are interested in submitting a
column for review, please feel free to check out our latest suggested calls at
http://jot.communication.utexas.edu/flow/cfp.php. Even if your work does not
match the specific calls, we invite short, topical pieces of 800-1000 words for
review.  As with regular columns, Special Features are expected to fall
somewhere in between academic and journalistic discourses with the aim of
spurring discussion on message boards. For submissions or questions, please
contact Jean Lauer at [log in to unmask]

Current Calls:

New trends in advertising

Marketplace on NPR recently reported that the placement of political ads is
shifting in response to audience habits, especially the proliferation of DVRs.
This fall, according to their sources, campaign ads are likely to be
concentrated on shows that people do not usually record to skip commercials,
such as sports and news. This is just one potentially interesting new
development for scholars in the field of advertising. If you are a scholar
writing about media advertising trends, we encourage you to contact us with
queries, proposals, or potential submissions. To be considered for publication,
papers should be emailed as attachments, double-spaced, in MLA style, with the
author's name and contact information clearly included on the attached file.
For more information or to submit a query, please contact Jean Lauer at

“Theme songs, background music, and television”

Music is an essential element of TV programs.  Theme songs of television series
set the mood for each program and create a musical calling card that instantly
brings that program to mind. Background songs establish the tone and even
cultural capital of an episode or series. As more and more television series
are being released on DVD, we at Flow have noticed certain series appearing
with different theme songs and even different background music than the
"original" broadcast versions. What happens when songs change? How do changes
in music affect the way we understand DVD authorship? How do these changes
affect the way we view programs, or our relationship to the visual and thematic
content? How should we address post-broadcast changes to programs in television
scholarship?

The editors of FLOW are seeking short essays (approximately 800-1000 words in
length) that examine issues related to this phenomenon. Queries and proposals
regarding potential submissions are encouraged. To be considered for
publication, papers should be emailed as attachments, double-spaced, in MLA
style, with the author's name and contact information clearly included on the
attached file. For more information or to submit a query, please contact Jean
Lauer at [log in to unmask]

http://www.ScreenSite.org