SCREEN-L Archives

August 2006, Week 4

Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 2006 20:46:27 -0500
Greetings,

We just wanted to let you know that the new issue of Flow: A Critical Forum on
Television and Media Culture is out. This issue features columns by Walter Metz,
Mary Desjardins, Elana Levine, Moya Luckett, and Sharon Shahaf.

Please visit the journal at http://www.flowtv.org to read these columns and
contribute responses to them.

This issue's columns in brief:

"Sitcom Aesthetics, Intertextuality, and 'Lucky Louie'" by Walter Metz:
At first Lucky Louie seems like a a sex- and expletive-filled version of The
Honeymooners, but, after ten episodes, it also appears to be is the most
intertextually rich show on television.

"'Back Where I Started From': California in Some Recent Television Series" by
Mary Desjardins:
A meditation on the continued use of California as a narrative landscape of
budding potentialities and stifling eventualities through revived melodramas
like The O.C. and Veronica Mars, and reality programs such as The Real
Housewives of Orange County and Laguna Beach.

"The New Soaps? Laguna Beach, The Hils, and the Gendered Politics of Reality
'Drama'" by Elana Levine:
How genres collide on MTV's prime-time.

"Recap Nation: Repetition and the TV Program as Commodity" by Moya Luckett:
The internet has seen an explosion in the number of programs offering recaps of
television programs. How are these recaps serving to extend and repeat
television's texts, and what does their popularity say about viewers'
relationship with recaps?

Special Feature: "'Israeli Idol' Goes to War: The Globalization of Television
Studies" by Sharon Shahaf:
Kohav Nolad, Israel's version of "Idol," illustrates the dialectic between local
and global trends in TV as the program transforms itself in a time of war.

We look forward to your visit and encourage your comments.

Best wishes,

Flow Editorial Staff