SCREEN-L Archives

March 2006, Week 4

From:
Noah Shenker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2006 12:17:06 -0800
To follow up on my last email concerning the Visible Evidence XIII Conference taking place in Brazil this August, please
note that although the deadline is coming up very shortly (March 24), submissions are still being accepted.

The panel I will be chairing, "Bodies of Extremity: The Interventionist Potential of Non-Fiction Representations of Political
Struggle and Crisis," is still considering proposals. Below, please find enclosed the description of the panel along with a
link for the Visible Evidence XIII site. Individual paper proposals for my panel should be sent directly to me at the
following email address:

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Noah Shenker
Doctoral Candidate, University of Southern California

"Bodies of Extremity: The Interventionist Potential of Non-Fiction Representations of Political Struggle and Crisis"

This panel will address the socially interventionist potential of non-fiction representations across documentary film,
journalism, and media archiving. More specifically, it will engage questions of how these non-fiction practices might
facilitate change in political contexts as diverse as the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, mobilizations against American trade
proposals, and the ongoing atrocities in Darfur.

It is imperative to examine how circulating images of human bodies in these struggles intensify the visceral dimensions
of suffering and resistance and provide a foundation for empathic and ethical forms of spectatorship and action. While
on one hand they can intensify the moral immediacy of the causes in question, they can also complicate more sober and
analytic modes of engagement. This panel will address the overlaps and tensions between these emotive and cognitive
registers, and how their presence in mimetic and experiential media forms have reconfigured and radicalized notions of
authenticity and evidence concerning representations of extremity.

Visible Evidence XIII

http://www.itsalltrue.com.br/visibleevidence/Eng/panels.html