SCREEN-L Archives

January 2006, Week 4

From:
Robert Keser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jan 2006 10:08:40 -0600
I think anglicized spelling is the problem here: in reference to films, you'll find thousands of references on Google for "portmanteau" films.

The Wikipedia definition says: "A portmanteau film or omnibus film is a film consisting of several different short films, often tied together by only a single theme or premise. Sometimes each one is directed by a different director. Sometimes there is a theme, such as a place (e.g. New York Stories), a person (e.g. Four Rooms), or a thing (e.g. Twenty Bucks), that is present in each story and serves to bind them together."

Examples date back to Paul Leni's WAXWORKS (and probably even further back) to British films like TRIO and QUARTET, down to more recent films like THE RED VIOLIN, EROS, and SIN CITY.

--Robert Keser
Fine Arts: Film
National-Louis University
Chicago