SCREEN-L Archives

October 2005, Week 4

From:
Andrew Lesk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Oct 2005 11:55:11 -0400
Christina

As you likely know, The Hours is Hayes's interpretation of Fassbinder's Ali:
Fear Eats the Soul, who interprets Sirk's All that Heaven Allows. Regarding the
interplay of aesthetics, melodrama, kitsch and gender, try the following:

Lucy Fisher's essay in Play It Again Sam: Retakes on Remakes, Horton, ed.
Douglas Kellner's essay in Triangulated Visions, O'Sickey, ed.
Robert Reimer's essay in Literature/Film Quarterly 24.3 (1996).
Judith Butler's essay in Genders 9 (1990, Fall).
Barbara Mennel's essay in One Hundred Years of Masochism, Finke, ed.
Tina Harris's essay in Women's Studies in Communication 23.1 (2000).
Mary Beth Haralovich's essay in Close Viewings, Lehman, ed.
Barbara Klinger's classic Melodrama and Meaning. Look at the biblio.

This should be a good start.

Dr Andrew Lesk
Department of English
University of Toronto