SCREEN-L Archives

April 2005, Week 2

From:
Samar Habib <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Apr 2005 01:16:58 -0700
Nebula: http://www.nobleworld.biz

This Special Project Call for Papers is open to all issues and is not limited to a specific deadline. If you know of anyone who might be interested in pursuing these or similar projects then please forward this information to them, or direct them to this page on the Nebula website:

http://www.nobleworld.biz/pages/5/index.htm

1. In recent years we have seen the veritable explosion of productions in the political documentary genre. Documentaries such as McLible, Supersize Me and The Corporation have attempted to increase social awareness of corporations' unethical conduct (also see Nils Roseman's article in Nebula 1.3). Other documentaries such as Fahrenheitt 911, Outfoxed, The World According to Bush, and many others have focused closely on the unethical conduct of the right wing Christian west and various forms of propaganda involved in sustaining war in the Middle East. Documentaries such as Jenin, Jenin, Wedding in Galilee, Gaza Strip, Peace Propaganda and the Promised Land and the upcoming Paradise Behind Bars (see Najwa Saad's article in Nebula 2.1) are shedding much needed light on what has been, until very recently, an extremely one-sided affair in western media - the Palestinian/Israeli conflict, of course. Documentaries such as I Exist and Dangerous Living (to be released in May) are the
 first of their kind, bringing the persecution of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered minority groups in the Middle East to the public front, for the first time.

These documentaries are not only valuable in the humanist insight they provide but also in the evidence-based approach they undertake. Nebula is looking for reviewers who will engage thoroughly and thoughtfully with the material abovementioned, whether focussing on one documentary or several in one group, we are looking for articles and reviews which discuss the relevance of these insightful documentaries in a world which does not seem to prize facts too greatly.

2.Some Pandemic World Problems Have Viable Solutions.

Poverty and Starvation

Third World Worker Exploitation

Third World Epidemics

Excess Pollution

Unethical Globalisation

All Military Conquests

Nebula is dedicated to the humanist search for a better and more equitable world. Viable solutions to major world problems exist and these can be implemented, regardless of cynicism or the pseudo-Darwinian rhetoric of those who benefit from imbalances of power. Nebula is aiming to provide a world-wide forum for intellectuals, tradespeople, scientists, mathematicians, builders, artists, visionaries, inventors, capitalists etc. to explore issues of global importance. We hope to provide a gravitational centre for contributors who share a common desire to kerb anti-humanist forces in the world and to reduce their extensive and pandemic effect on the institutionally powerless.

We invite contributions that are genuinely engaged (beyond political partisanship) in the problem of human-induced, world-scale catastrophes and atrocities. We encourage logical and sound argumentation. We are looking for practical solutions beyond simple propagandism. We might begin here by being heavily theoretical, in the hope that whatever we build in terms of insights and resolutions will be of benefit to current and future generations.

Imagination is more important than knowledge
                                                - A. Einstein
Visit Nebula@NobleWORLD http://www.nobleworld.biz