SCREEN-L Archives

February 2005, Week 4

From:
Jonathan Cullum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2005 16:35:52 -0600
Based on the definition of "affectation," which refers to pretense, I
believe in this case that the reviewer is correct. The usage seems to
suggest feigning knowledge, and "affect" would convey that better than
"effect."

JAC

Apologies for cross-posting.

This might sound like a bizarre question, but I'm trying to establish
the
correct form of a quotation from the screenplay of 'The Big Sleep':
specifically the line in which Dorothy Malone describes the organised
crime
boss whose front is an antique shop as someone '...who effects a
knowledge
of antiques but hasn't any.' Question: should it be 'effect' or
'affect'? I always thought the former, i.e. 'effect' as a verb meaning
quote the Chambers Dictionary definition) to accomplish or bring
something
about. I'm using this quotation in a book which is now in the final
editing stage. Not only have I used the quotation, but in the title of
chapter as well - so needless to say, I'd like to get it right! One of
the
external readers has corrected the verb to 'affects'. To my mind this

seems wrong: 'affect' means to change something which already exists,
whereas the verb in this quote is being used to describe the creation
of an
effect which did not previously exist (and, subtly, to point out that
the
resulting effect [noun] is a false and misleading one).

I know that this sounds like a terribly niggly little point, but can
anyone
settle this definitively? I'd hate to have to change the title of my
chapter this late in the day!

Many thanks in advance
Leo

Leo Enticknap
Northern Region Film & Television Archive
Middlesbrough, UK
www.nrfta.org.uk