SCREEN-L Archives

January 2005, Week 1

From:
"Peter C. Rollins" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jan 2005 18:11:36 EST
http://www.h-net.org/~swpca/Program/program.htm

The Southwest PCA/ACA meeting will have many highlights and special events,
a few of which are mentioned on the web site as "Coming Attractions."

Three session will be of special interest to those in visual studies:

    --a lecture on photography by Krista Erlick, stressing the visual
experience
            of New Mexico in historic and contemporary photography.

    --a "debate" between Robert B. Toplin and Glenn Harris concerrning
            the "radical" nature of the "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner."
            Was the film a breakthough production or was it merely skimming
            the top off a peak in liberal eudeminism?

   --a  session to "meet the editors" with representatives from
            Film&History, Literature/Film Quarterly, and Quarterly
                Review of Film Studies, the Journal of Popular Culture,
                and PostScript

Be there!

Peter C. Rollins

Founder and Chairman of the Board
(Emeritus)

Popular Culture Center
Rt 3 Box 80
Cleveland, Oklahoma 74020
(918)243-7637 and fax 5995
[log in to unmask] http://www.swtexaspca.org/ www.h-net.org/~swpca

The regional meeting for 2005 will take place in Albuquerque, New Mexico,
a favored site for our gatherings. The events will run between February 9-12,
2005 at the Hyatt Regency Albuquerque (330 Tijera; 505.842.1234) We have gone
to the downtown area of the city where a massive refurbishing has brought in
shopping and dining opportunities of quality. We are excited about the special
hotel rates negotiated by our new leaders. There is even a special graduate
student rate. (See details on web site.)

Organization's Web site with lots of data is below: http://www.swtexaspca.org/

Now that I am now emeritus, the best contacts for Southwest/Texas Regional
business are:

Philip Heldrich, Dept. of English, Emporia State University, KS

Ken Dvorak, Distance Learning, San Jacinto College District, Houston, TX

Both of these young scholars are at your service.