SCREEN-L Archives

December 2004, Week 3

From:
Virginia Bonner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 2004 15:07:55 -0500
A few recent pairings:

--Terry Zwigoff's 'Ghost World' with Althusser (ISAs)

--Alfonso Cuaron's 'Y Tu Mama Tambein' with Deleuze (C2)

--Ridley Scott's 'Blade Runner' with Benjamin (Work of Art; see also
Elissa Marder's article on this pairing in 'Camera Obscura')

--Fernando Meirellis & Katia Lund's 'City of God' or Matthieu
Kassovitz's 'Hate' with selected postcolonial theorists (e.g., Spivak,
Bhabha, Said, etc.)

My undergraduate students respond quite well to all of these pairings.
With more challenging reading material, they almost always prefer more
recent films to the classics or art films. So even though films by
Resnais, Godard, or Antonioni would seem to be the more obvious choices
for Deleuze, for example, my students have been consistently more open
to Deleuze and clips from these other films if Cuaron's film is the
primary text & touchstone.

Best of luck!
Dr. Virginia Bonner
Assistant Professor of Film & Media Studies
http://a-s.clayton.edu/vbonner