SCREEN-L Archives

December 2004, Week 2

From:
"Peter C. Rollins" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 2004 13:35:35 EST

As the  Area  Chair for Film  & History at the Southwest PCAACA  meeting
in  Albuquerque, 9-12 February, I am looking for some papers to round  out
existing panels.  Below is a quick list…If you have something that might  fit
in  comfortably, let me know.
1. US myths and images in  film
Now have two papers: one on atomic  mushroom cloud image and one
on radical  image in film.
2.  Latin American Images in US films
Currently have papers on the  Spanish-American War and Mexican-American war
plus a paper on WWII efforts to  make films for South America audiences.
3.  International Cinema and Cultural Images
Currently have items on German Wim  Wenders plus a paper on American
propaganda about  Germany during  WWI.
ADDITIONAL events include a night with Barbara Warne,  webmeister of
_The  West Wing_  informal  web site.  (Great place!)
Also, a "debate" between Rob Toplin and Glenn  Harris over the meaning of the
landmark film, _Guess Who's  Coming to Dinner?_
These panels and events will take place within a  larger conference about
Popular Culture and American Culture.
Hope to hear from people about the numbered items  (1-3) above...
Peter

Peter C.  Rollins

Founder and Chairman of the Board
(Emeritus)

Film &  History
Popular Culture Center
Rt 3 Box 80
Cleveland, Oklahoma  74020
(918)243-7637 and fax 5995
_www.swtexaspca.org_ (http://www.swtexaspca.org/)
_www.h-net.org/~swpca_ (http://www.h-net.org/~swpca)

The  regional meeting for 2005 will take place in Albuquerque, New Mexico,
a  favored site for our gatherings. The events will run between February
9-12, 2005  at the Hyatt Regency Albuquerque (330 Tijera; 505.842.1234) We have
gone to the  downtown area of the city where a massive refurbishing has brought
in shopping  and dining opportunities of quality. We are excited about the
special hotel  rates negotiated by our new leaders. There is even a special
graduate student  rate. (See details on web site.)

Organization's Web site with lots of  data is below:

_www.swtexaspca.org_ (http://www.swtexaspca.org/)