SCREEN-L Archives

December 2004, Week 1

From:
Darrell Newton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 2004 13:15:19 -0500
Does anyone recall the very short-lived dramady "Cupid" on ABC, starring
Jeremy Biven? I believe his obvious task was often derailed by his own
inner-turmoil and affinity for more or more of the characters he was
attempting to "assist." His only purely artistic endeavor was that of a
Faustian entity.....

Darrell M. Newton, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor,
The Department of Communication and Theater Arts
Salisbury University
290 Holloway Hall
Salisbury, MD 21801
(410) 677-5060 Office
(410) 543-6229 Department

http://faculty.salisbury.edu/~dmnewton/

From:         Harper Cossar <[log in to unmask]>

I'm racking my brain here, but the character that emerges is that of
JJ
(Jimmy Walker) on the series Good Times. His artwork is often portrayed
as
a vehicle for transcending the ghetto and the Evans family's poor
surroundings. Therefore, while this artist and his art are not at the
forefront of the series, certainly there is much commentary and
narrative
with regard to the importance and substance of JJ's art. Hope this
helps ...

From:         Robert Hunt <[log in to unmask]>

I suspect that you're right about artists and writers not being
represented
on tv. (Tv shows seem to be populated by a lot of people who work on
tv).
But I'd suggest the very strange and short-lived "Elvis" series from
about
10 years ago. It was about Elvis Presley in his youth -a year or so
before
he made it big. In most episodes, he would have some strange
premonition of
his later fame..

There was also "My World and Welcome To It", but that was definitely
not
romantic. The hero was a Thurber-like cartoonist who turned the events
of
his home life into cartoons... (In fact, there seem to have been more
sitcoms about cartoonists than writers....)

From:         Robert Hunt <[log in to unmask]>

Again falling short of the romantic image..., but the animated series
"The
Critic" is wroth noting as a series in which the writer's work was
actually
central to most episodes.. --

From:         Marty Norden <[log in to unmask]>

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004, Robert Hunt wrote:
  > There was also "My World and Welcome To It", but that was
definitely not
 > romantic. The hero was a Thurber-like cartoonist who turned the
events
of his home
 > life into cartoons... (In fact, there seem to have been more sitcoms
about
 > cartoonists than writers....)

Another example of a cartoonist is Ted Knight's character on the
1980-85
sitcom TOO CLOSE FOR COMFORT. He spent more of his time meddling in
his
daughters' affairs than working on his strip, which had something to
do
with a cow, as I recall... --Marty Norden ----------------

From:         chad <[log in to unmask]>

Right off the bat, JJ from GOOD TIMES comes to mind. There are also a
few
episodes of ROSEANNE where she discusses giving up writing to raise
her
kids and marry Dan. Joey from FRIENDS and JOEY is a struggling actor.
ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT has Gob who is a frustrated and somewhat demented
magician. SIX FEET UNDER has Claire an art student. Eldon from MURPHY
BROWN
paints houses instead of canvases. Caroline from CAROLINE IN THE CITY
draws
a comic strip. Rodney currently on RODNEY is an aspiring stand-up
comedian.
Finally, NORTHERN EXPOSURE has several characters you might consider
Adam,
Even and Chris.

I'm not sure all of these fall into the tormented/demented category,
but at
the very least they do seem to be pursuing artistic careers. -chad

From:         "Larsson, Donald F" <[log in to unmask]>

The things that come to mind are critically-acclaimed but short-lived
series such as as William Windom doing a Thurberesque writer in MY
WORLD
AND WELCOME TO IT or Paul Sand as an orchestra cellist in FRIENDS AND
LOVERS. Of course, those series were also (mostly) comedies, with
artists
who were ironic, not Byronic. That the series were short-lived speaks
for
itself.

Aside from forays into high culture as one-shots or anthology series
(OMNIBUS, HALLMARK HALL OF FAME--before it produced the video
equivalent of
greeting cards, MASTERPIECE THEATRE), I doubt that there's too much. At
the
risk of overgeneralizing, network TV series would seem to favor
exterior
behavior over interior soul-searching, promote low-brow over high-brow,
and
have a skeptical attitude toward high culture (which used to be
returned
mutually). (Consider Ernie Kovacs as Percy Dovetonsils.) There might
be
more from the BBC or other state-produced TV with an eye on cultural
heritage.

I do think that some of the impulses found in films and novels about
artists find have found relatively successful expression in two series
formats: 1) the Byronic hero is morphed into the Liberal Do-Gooder, in
shows from EAST SIDE WEST SIDE to JUDD FOR THE DEFENSE and SLATTERY'S
PEOPLE, etc., where the hero fights for underdogs of various types
while
going through his (usually) own torments of the soul (now multiplied
in
ensemble shows from HILL STREET BLUES to ER and on and on); 2) the
Teenager
as Artist-Manque: shows featuring young folk who watch their
surroundings
and reflect on their place in life, nostalgically, ironically or
otherwise--I REMEMBER MAMA, DOOGIE HOUSER, MY SO-CALLED LIFE, etc.

Of course, there's always the mystery-writer show--ELLERY QUEEN, MURDER
SHE
WROTE, etc.

Don Larsson