SCREEN-L Archives

November 2004, Week 4

From:
Alasdair <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Nov 2004 18:01:10 +0000
Deal All,

I wonder if you can help me. I'm trying to find a short film about a
Welsh woman in a small village who wins a competition to go to Los
Angeles. I remember seeing it on television but cannot remember its title.

This is what I remember of the plot - After winning she is advised
against going by many of her relatives and other villagers, who know of
people who have gone to LA and died of sushi! She goes with a friend and
they bump into George Harrison III, inadvertently causing havoc, they
end up believing they have shot and killed him. They go on the run and
decide to commit suicide by eating sushi underneath the Hollywood Sign.
There are many other comic moments both in LA and in their village back
in Wales where her, not so bright, son is trying to cope by himself and
failing.

I have searched everywhere but - not knowing the title of the film - I
cannot find anything about it.

If you could give me any information about the film, especially its
title and any ideas of where I might find it, I would be very grateful
as I am currently doing research into the portrayal of Welsh culture in
the movies and would like to include this short in my thesis.

Yours hopefully,

Alasdair Dorman-Jackson

http://www.ScreenSite.org