SCREEN-L Archives

November 2004, Week 4

From:
"Peter C. Rollins" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Nov 2004 13:07:02 EST

Updated Call For Papers. Extended deadline…
FILM & HISTORY AREA
at the SWPCA/ACA meeting Albuquerque, NM, Feb. 9-12, 2005
_http://www.h-net.org/~swpca/_ (http://www.h-net.org/~swpca/) (Proposal
deadline of 10 December, 2004!)

Film and History are related topics which show up on a regular basis in
Film & History, a scholarly journal in publication for 34 years.
Each year, Film & History gathers like-minded scholars at various venues
to discuss the inter-relationship between visual media and culture.
How do films interpret historical issues and events?
How do films attempt to influence contemporary perceptions?
How do films reflect the times in which they are made?
These are basic, vital, and pertinent questions in our media age.
This is a CFP for papers dealing with any of the three questions above in
relation to a cluster of films, a specific genre, a key director such as
John
Ford or Orson Welles, or issues such as race and gender. We will be
meeting in Albuquerque, February 9-12, 2005.
Some idea of the spectrum of topics can be gained by visiting the Film &
History web site: _www.filmandhistory.org_ (http://www.filmandhistory.org/)
We are just emerging from a conference on the topic of WAR IN FILM and
papers enhanced and revisioned by that meeting are certainly invited;
however, we would also like to hear from both senior scholars and graduate students
about their work on other areas. (Here, again, the web site will give a
sense of variety.)
The deadline is rushing towards us, so please get back to the following Area
Chair by December 10, 2004. Alas, time is in fast motion (ie, under 24fps).
Peter C. Rollins
Film & History Center
RR 3 Box 80
Cleveland, OK 74020-9515