SCREEN-L Archives

October 2004, Week 5

From:
Scott Hutchins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 30 Oct 2004 12:59:35 -0400
I'm having trouble finding U.S. reviews of this film.  I have a whole list of Australian reviews of the film, but I haven't been able to get copies.

The film was reviewed in Variety, under the original title, _Oz_, and I can get this faxed from MoMA Queens.

There was also an article in The Ypsilanti Press on November 22, 1977, which I was told I could not get by the ILL person here. Someone suggested I check Lexis-Nexus, whcih I've never used. Would it carry something that local and that old?

It is not listed in the indices for 1976 or 1977 in the New York Times or the Los Angeles Times, and I was not able to find anything in The Washington Post or The Village Voice either, not even lisitngs that it was being shown.

It seems possible, but extremely unlikely, that the film was released in Ypsilanti but not New York or L.A. I don't think it was a Southern drive-in film, either, but I don't have access to any Southern papers to check. I do not know when it was first released in the U.S., and since films didn't open the same way back then like they do now, so it will be harder to find.

It seems very odd that a film that didn't do well in its native country would have redone opening titles and music for the U.S. release and then have almost no exhibition.

Scott

Sent via the WebMail system at cix.csi.cuny.edu