SCREEN-L Archives

October 2004, Week 3

From:
Hannes Karnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 2004 01:57:24 EDT
In 1978 we produced the 35 min. documentary "Du sollst dich nie vor  einem
lebenden Menschen bucken" Willi Bleicher, directed by Hannes Karnick  and
Wolfgang Richter.

It is a portrait of a famous post war trade  union leader of the region of
Stuttgart. He was the opponent of Hans Martin  Schleyer, head of association
of industry, kidnapped and killed by  terrorists.

Bleicher was imprisoned by the Nazi rule due to his political  engagement as
trade unionist and communist. In the camp of Buchenwald he  saved the life of
a child brought into the camp. This story was the basis of  the novel "Nackt
unter Wolfen" by the author Bruno Apitz - also a feature  film was produced
in the former GDR. After the war he spoke very seldom of  this experience,
fearing the people would not believe what  happened.

All the best
Hannes  Karnick

docfilm
Heidelberger Landstr. 89