SCREEN-L Archives

October 2004, Week 2

From:
Tim Shary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Oct 2004 13:49:11 -0400
Here's a list of all the stats you need to answer your question, taken from
the Academy's own web page (www.ampas.org). Wyler is indeed the winner by
far, in both nominations and awards.

Dr. Timothy Shary
Director of Screen Studies
Assistant Professor of Screen Studies
Traina Center for the Arts
Clark University
Worcester, MA 01610
508-793-7285

DIRECTORS WITH THE MOST ACTING NOMINATIONS
35 William Wyler
24 Elia Kazan
20 Fred Zinnemann
18 George Cukor
18 Sidney Lumet
18 George Stevens
17 Billy Wilder
16 Stanley Kramer
16 Martin Scorsese
15 Woody Allen
15 John Huston
15 Mike Nichols

DIRECTORS WITH THE MOST ACTING AWARDS
14 William Wyler (13 + 1 honorary acting Oscar)
9 Elia Kazan
7 Fred Zinnemann (6 + 1 honorary acting Oscar)
5 Woody Allen
5 John Ford
4 Hal Ashby
4 James L. Brooks
4 George Cukor
4 Jonathan Demme
4 Victor Fleming
4 John Huston
4 Sidney Lumet
4 Martin Scorsese

DIRECTORS WITH THE MOST ACTING NOMINATIONS IN A SINGLE YEAR
7 Herbert Ross (1977)
5 William Wyler (1942)
5 Joseph L. Mankiewicz (1950)
5 Fred Zinnemann (1953)
5 Elia Kazan (1954)
5 Mark Robson (1957)
5 Tony Richardson (1963)
5 Arthur Penn (1967)
5 Francis Ford Coppola (1974)
5 Sidney Lumet (1976)

DIRECTORS WHO DIRECTED THEMSELVES TO AN ACTING AWARD
1927/28 (1st) Charles Chaplin (Special Award)
1946 (19th) Laurence Olivier (Special Award)
1948 (21st) Laurence Olivier (Actor)
1998 (71st) Roberto Benigni (Actor)