SCREEN-L Archives

October 2004, Week 1

Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 2004 10:57:32 -0500
I'm not sure about that particular quote, but Bruce Schulman's book,
The Seventies, defines the 1970s as 1968-1984. By doing this, he argues
that the shift in opinion regarding Vietnam, the civil rights movement,
Woodstock and the summer of love were all much more a part of the 1970s
than the 1960s. His delineation largely revolves around the
presidential terms of Nixon, Ford, Carter and Reagan (his first term).
It also parallels the shift of power from the rustbelt to the sunbelt.

Although this book is not about films, it might be a useful resource
regarding the surrounding culture. Ultimately, Schulman resists
defining decades by a specific set of years and instead focuses on what
he perceives as directly linked occurrences.

-chad

Chandler Harriss
PhD Candidate
University of Alabama