SCREEN-L Archives

October 2004, Week 1

Sender:
From:
"Larsson, Donald F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 2004 07:21:29 -0500
As someone of a certain age, I suspect that you may find a number of variations on that theme, from the period itself to the present.  Just as some of us at that time were convinced that the "50s" did not really end until 1963 (particularly with the advent of Bob Dylan and The Beatles in music and the increasing awareness of Vietnam, among other things), it also seemed that the events of the "60s" were capped later, notably in Nixon's resignation and American withdrawal from Vietnam in the 70s.  Culturally, many of the elements that people associate with the 60s occurred within relatively isolated communities and spread more widely in the next decade.  (Consider the conservatives who accused George McGovern of running on a platform of "acid, amnesty (for draft violators), and abortion.")

Don Larsson

"Only connect!"  --E.M. Forster
Donald F. Larsson
Department of English