SCREEN-L Archives

August 2004, Week 5

From:
Deborah Carmichael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Aug 2004 00:10:25 EDT
As Ph.D. student in film an English Dept., I teach more composition sections
than film classes, but I've found that students have a real problem
understanding what is public knowledge and what should be cited. I've had few that
borrow more than what they feel is "public knowledge" but the concept of "public"
gets in the way.

Many students think that information on the Internet is "public" and I have
had some that thought that copying from IMDB or a book jacket was okay because
it is, of course, public on the net or on a glossy (sell the book) jacket.
All I was asking for was a paper proposal but I had someone plagarize. That was
disconcerting and enlightening.

The lines between promotion and ideas can get lost in the hype to sell a
book, or film, or any other commodity. There's a postmodern moment there or at
least a Sontag pause for reflection.

The best defense against borrowing from the Internet paper mills is,
obviously, to customize assignments and simply to ask for copies of the sources they
have consulted. This can help.

The most enlightening experience for me was to require a look at critical
works and to realize that Siskel was the epitome of a "critical" film writer.
There is much to be taught and we can do well at this task but each asignment
must be our own.

Ciao, Deb